Shipping - Article | 2-min. read
The Most Important Dates of the 2017 Retail Holiday Season
When it comes to the holidays, retail businesses must keep a laser focus on the busiest season of the year. The final months of the year are filled with peak shopping days and peak return days. To help capitalize on profits, we’ve made sure to note 2016’s highest grossing billion-dollar shopping days. Get an early start making decisions about stock replenishment, holiday marketing and return communications—all by using the calendar below. Print it, bookmark it or download it for easy access in the busy season ahead.
- 23 Thanksgiving1
- 24 Black Friday, 2016 Billion-Dollar Desktop Shopping Day2
- 25 Small Business Saturday, 2016 Billion-Dollar Desktop Shopping Day2
- 26 2016 Billion-Dollar Desktop Shopping Day2
- 27 Cyber Monday, #1 Desktop Shopping Day3
- 28-30 2016 Billion-Dollar Desktop Shopping Days2
- 1-10 2016 Billion-Dollar Desktop Shopping Day2
- 11 Green Monday, 2016 Billion-Dollar Desktop Shopping Day2
- 12 2016 Billion-Dollar Desktop Shopping Day2
- 19 Recommended First Class Mail® Service Final Send-by Date for Estimated Delivery Before Dec. 25th4
- 20 Recommended Priority Mail® Service Final Send-by Date for Estimated Delivery Before Dec. 25th4
- 22 Recommended Priority Mail Express® Service Final Send-by Date for Estimated Delivery Before Dec. 25th4,5,6
- 23 Retail Super Saturday: The Saturday Before Christmas
- 25 Christmas1,5,6
- 26 #1 In-Store Return Day7
- 27-30 Consumer Preferred In-Store Return Day8
- 1 New Year’s Day1
- 2 Consumer Preferred In-Store Return Day8
Visualizing the Road Ahead
Businesses intent on surpassing their 2016 holiday sales must make adjustments to tactics from the previous year. Keep these important dates in mind as you fine-tune your holiday strategy. Print our calendar for easy access during the most important days of the year.
1Please note: Shipping providers may be closed or offer limited services.
2“Green Monday Online Desktop Spending Up 15 Percent Year-Over-Year,” comScore, Dec 14, 2016.
3Tracy Maple, “The Top 10 e-commerce Days of the Holiday Season,” Internet Retailer, Jan 11, 2016.
4Actual delivery date may vary and is based on origin, destination, Post Office acceptance time and other conditions.
5Priority Mail Express® deliveries on Sundays or holidays may be available for an additional fee.
6For Priority Mail Express® shipments mailed December 22 through December 25, the money-back guarantee applies only if the shipment was not delivered, or delivery not attempted, within two (2) business days. See DMM® Section 604.
7“Holiday Return Rates Revealed: Nationwide Returns Peaked at 2:15 p.m. on Dec 26,” Loss Prevention Media Insider, losspreventionmedia.com/insider/inventory-shrinkage/holiday-return-rates-revealed-nationwide-returns-peaked-at-215-p-m-on-dec-26, January 9, 2015.
8“2015 SAS Holiday Shopper Survey” Copyright © 2015 SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA. All rights reserved. Used with permission. Contact SAS Institute Inc. for additional republication requests.